How to Season a Rusty Cast Iron Skillet
It is easy to season a cast iron skillet. But most of the householder don’t know about how to season a rusty cast iron skillet. Personally I faced the same problem. Few days ago my cast iron cookware rust. I was totally confused, because I don’t know how to restore a cast iron skillet.
Then I contact with so many expert to take suggestion. They give me a step by step guideline. Now, it is so very easy for me to clean a rusty cast iron. Actually it is a one-step advance level of season cast iron skillet.
Most of us apply traditional method to restore rusty cast iron skillet. For that why, we don’t get better result. By the way, today I discuss with you details step by step how to clean a rusty cast iron skillet. Don’t worry it is a very simple process.
If we season our cookware properly, our cookware will be more long lasting. So we will always try to season and clean our cookware properly and regularly.
Necessary elements to restore a rusty cast iron skillet
- Steel wool
- Dish soap
- Scouring pad, scrubbing brush or sponge
- Paper towels or dish towel
- Aluminum foil
- Vegetable oil or cooking oil or seasoning oil
How to Season a Rusty Cast Iron Skillet? – Detail Instructions
- Remove all rust: To remove rust from affected areas use fine steel wool. It’s a little critical to remove the rust. Follow my instruction, hope you will remove the rust easily. First, add a little soap in the pan and scrub in the affected areas. Continue scrubbing until you clean the rust and you will see the cast iron.
- Wash the skillet: After scrub the skillet with bristle brush, mesh sponge or gentle scouring pad wash the cast iron with warm water and dish soap.
- Dry the cookware: after finish the washing process dry the cookware. To dry the cast iron use a clean paper towel or dish towel.
- Coat the skillet with oil: In the entire area of the cast iron apply the oil. You can use vegetable oil, cooking oil or seasoning oil as your choice. But best is if you use seasoning oil.
- Clean the handle and bottom: Don’t forget to oiling the handle and bottom. Use a little amount of oil for this.
- Heat the pan in the oven: place the pan in the top of the oven. And heat the pan for at least one hour at 350 degree F. Please remember that don’t heat it over that.
- Cool the cast iron pan: Turn off heat and keep the cookware for cool. If you think this is not restore properly repeat the process to get better result.
How to Keep Cast Iron from Rusting
It is a common problem for use rusting cast iron. But if we follow some tips you can prevent cast iron rusting. For our wrong uses we face this problem. If you want to avoid cast-iron rusting follow those steps.
Never soak the cast iron
If you want to keep your cast iron from rust never soak this. If possible it is best to limit the cookware exposure to the water.
Don’t go for air dry
Use soft and clean cloth or paper to dry the cast iron. Don’t go for air dry, because is remove moisture of cast iron extreme level.
Use cast iron oil in cooking
In market there are some special oil to cook in cast iron. So you can use those oil to prevent rusting. Personal I use those cast iron oil and use enough oil in cooking time.
Lightly oil after use
After cooking and before storing rub the skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil. If will keep you cast iron secure and better for further use.
Avoid certain foods
Some foods can’t go with cast iron. You can’t use your new cast iron pan to fry tomato. Because it may rust. So try to avoid those in cooking.
I tried my best to give you proper guidelines on restore a rusty cast iron skillet. Hope you get a details guideline. You can apply those process in your kitchen, hope you will get the best seasoning result. And try to follow the tips to prevent cast iron rusting. Happy Cooking.