Seasoning Cast Iron with Coconut Oil
Are you looking for a guide of seasoning cast iron with coconut oil? There are so many ways to season a cast iron pan. But the popular method is clean cast iron with oil. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil and any other seasoning oil.
Basically I personally prefer coconut oil for season cast iron skillet, because it doesn’t add fat to the pan. I also use some other best seasoning oil for better result. You can try those seasoning oil.
If you want to use your cast iron skillet for long term, you have to season your cast iron skillet properly and regularly. To get better result season cast iron skillet before first use.
Elements to Seasoning Cast Iron with Coconut Oil
- A cast iron skillet
- Stiff bristle brush
- Warm water
- ¼ cup food-grade coconut oil
- A sponge or dry cloth
- An oven
How to season cast iron skillet with coconut oil
Seasoning cast iron skillet is an easy process. It is a little time consuming, but easy steps. We season our cookware after cooking, but we don’t get better result. Because we don’t know the proper seasoning of cast iron skillet. I discuss the whole process step by step with you.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F: To season the cast iron with coconut oil preheat the oven up to 350º F. Remember that don’t cook anything in seasoning time.
- Wash the cast iron skillet: Clean the cookware with warm and clean water. Remember that, don’t use any kinds of soap, because it absorb the soap. To clean the pan use a stiff bristle brush.
- Dry the cast iron pan: Use a soft and clean cloth to dry the cast iron. Be confirm there is no water in the pan.
- Coat the skillet with coconut oil: Rub the coconut oil in a wax paper and coat the skillet in outside and inside to the cookware. Make sure it is coated properly in both side.
- Place the pan in the oven: If the pan is rub completely with the coconut oil, then place the pan upside down on the oven rack and heat the oven for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Cool the pan: Remove the pan from oven and place it on the top of the stove to cool for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process: To get better result repeat the process for more three time. Make sure that you have a good non-stick surface.
Consider some points in seasoning time
Don’t use any kinds of soap for clean the cookware, because it absorb the soap. So when you fry or cook your food it will effect on your food. Use warm water or salt to clean the cookware. Never pour the coconut oil in the cookware directly. Too much oil is not perfect to season a cast iron skillet.
If you follow those steps properly hope you can season your cast iron skillet. If you want a better result in cooking and want to use your cast iron skillet for lifetime. You have to season your cookware regularly with coconut oil after use. So remember that without season you will not get a good result.